The following is a list of behaviors that often include a need for a referral
- Resistance to cuddling and body contact
- Excessive or lack of response to sounds
- High or low muscle tone
- Delays in grasp and visual tracking skills
- Becomes upset when place on back to change diaper
- Cries or fusses whenever moved
- Excessive irritability
- Impulsive and uncontrolled behaviors
- Poor sense of rhythm
- Fear or dislike of moving toys i.e. swings, merry-go-rounds
- Frequent falls or tendency to bump into things
- Perform tasks extremely slowly or in a disorganized fashion
- Appears weak, with low muscle tone
- Cannot control a pencil or crayon
- Is slow to learn new games or motor skills
- Difficulty with simple self-help skills i.e. using feeding utensils, dressing
- Poor handwriting, messy or uses too much pressure
- Hand tires or complains of pain with fine motor/handwriting activities
- Has difficulty spacing the letters, or reverses letters
- Has problems following simple directions
- Loses place when reading or copying from board
- Neither right or left handed
- Clumsy or awkward in motor skills
- Explosive temper, outbursts for no apparent reason
- Has difficulty holding head and trunk upright while sitting, slumps or props self against table
- Sometimes falls out of chair while shifting body
Children with the following conditions are frequently treated in our department:
- Development Delays
- Juvenile Arthritis
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Neurological Impairments
- Cerebral Palsy
- Downs Syndrome
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Head Trauma
- Variety of genetic and congenital disorders
Therapists are trained in neurodevelopmental treatment, myofascial release, sensory integration, visual motor and visual perceptual remediation and weakness in ocular motor skills.
Interactive Metronome– a therapeutic assessment and training program that improves attention, concentration, motor planning and sequencing. Interactive Metronome challenges the client to synchronize a range of whole body exercises to a precise computer generated beat.
Therapeutic Listening/Integrative Listening Program – treatment tool that uses sound and music to help with the sensory regulation/processing, spatial relations and motor coordination.
SOS Feeding Solutions– a program for assessing and treating children with sensory-based feeding problems. We offer a Food School for a single child and his or her parents. Based on the developmental steps found in typically developing children, individual food school is based on systematic desensitization using a hierarchy of skills and behaviors necessary to progress with eating various textures.
WHAT MAKES OUR OT SERVICES UNIQUE?
- Parent-driven treatment goals
- Parent education during evaluation and treatment
- Parent education workshops
- Coordination of care with teachers and other professionals
- Play-based approach and activities to help children achieve their goals while having fun.
- Individual treatment sessions can be provided in the presence of other children and therapist, allowing opportunities to practice social skills in treatment
- Treatment environment are play-based and inviting to children and their families
- Treatment may include a combination of treatment approaches and strategies to help children reach their optimal level of function.
- Therapists are committed to continuing their education and building on their strong knowledge base with therapists holding several higher level specialty training and certifications